An Evangel magazine (a Church of God publication) was tossed out the window of a train passing through Texas. A stranger picked it up and called for more information about the Church of God denomination. In response to that phone call, the Church of God began to plant new churches in the State of Texas.
Tyler Church of God was established on North Dixie. Five families met with C.H. Mason, the District Pastor- who appointed G.H. Alford to be the first pastor of the church. In the fall of 1946, the church purchased land on Church Street and built an auditorium and parsonage.
Herbert C. Buie has been a vital part of the growth and legacy of Rose Heights, where he has served in various leadership roles through the years. He continues to be a source of wisdom, integrity and strength to the people of Rose Heights and the city of Tyler.
The church purchased land on the Southeast Loop under the leadership of Pastor O.E. Wright. The church moved into their new auditorium in 1968.
James Dill was appointed as pastor and served the church until 2001. During his tenure, the church moved to its current location at 2120 Old Omen Road.
Now under the leadership of Pastor Doug Anderson, Rose Heights continues its mission to touch the lives of people in East Texas with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Under Pastor Doug’s leadership, the church is moving onward and upward through a major campus expansion and numeric growth. It's an exciting time at Rose Heights as we are fulfilling the purpose and vision God has given us!